Oleh : ArahQQ
Ingredients in Spring Vegetable Pot Pie
- Vegetables: fennel bulb, leek (or onion), potatoes, carrots, asparagus, peas
- Herbs: tarragon, lemon thyme, chives
- Almond milk or Cashew Milk
- Lemon juice
- Vegetable bullion
- Whole grain mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Vegan butter or olive oil
How to make Vegan Pot Pie with Spring Vegetables
Chop up your veggies and measure all ingredients out.
Blanch potatoes and carrots in salted water for about 10 minutes or until just fork-tender. Save 1/2 cup of the water as you drain potatoes and carrots.
Dissolve bullion in the saved potato carrot water.
Saute leeks, garlic, fennel and asparagus.
Add blanched veggies to the sauté and mix. Push to the sides and melt butter in the center, add flour and mix as best as you can.
Add bullion broth and milk, stirring all the while, switching from the whisk to stirring with a spoon.
Add mustard and let the sauce come to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat.
Add in peas, lemon juice, lemon thyme, tarragon and chives.
Let the filling cool a bit while you prepare the crust.
If needed, roll your puff pastry out to 1/8″ thick. Cut into the shape of your pan and lay over the cooled filling.
Score the pastry with a sharp knife, cutting halfway into the dough. Do any design you like! This lightens crust, allowing it to lift more and bake evenly.
Expert Tips For The Ultimate Flakey Pastry Top
- Preheat oven and keep at temperature for 15-20 minutes before you place the pot pie in the oven. Puff pastry needs even heat to rise and puff.
- Let the filling cool before topping with the crust. If it is too hot it can start melting the layers before the crust has a chance to heat up and rise.
- If you are working in a warm kitchen, chill the whole pot pie with the pastry lid on, for 10 minutes before baking.