Oleh : SatuQQ
Harvest Vegetable Soup with Chickpeas and the most luscious Roasted Tomato Broth is brimming with color and nutrients. Adaptable, Vegan and Gluten-Free! Adaptable, Vegan and Gluten-Free!
Happiness is the harvest of a quiet eye. ~ Austin O’Malley
This Harvest Vegetable Soup is a tribute to the glorious seasonal veggies still overflowing at our farmer’s market. All this colorful fresh vibrant produce makes me so happy. I feel nourished just gazing at the beautiful bounty. We are in that space of time where any day the frost could hit and much of this abundance will fade into memory until next year’s season. Let’s enjoy it while we can!
The base of the soup is richly flavored with oven-roasted Roma tomatoes, giving the soup so much depth. While the tomatoes roast, the vegetables are prepped and chopped. Feel free to play around with veggies that are available to you. The roasted tomatoes are then blended with veggie or chicken broth creating a silky full-bodied base. Simply seasoned with fresh rosemary, sage, and smoked paprika perfectly complimenting the vegetables and chickpeas. This soup tastes like the garden.
If you want you can take it further and make it a meal by adding cooked pasta, whole grains, chicken, parmesan, croutons etc.
Ingredients in Harvest Vegetable Soup:
- olive oil
- Roma tomatoes
- garlic cloves
- golden or Chioggia beets
- red sweet pepper
- broth, chicken or veggie
- sea salt and pepper
- fresh rosemary and sage
- smoked paprika
How to make Harvest Vegetable Soup
Lay tomatoes skin down, cut side up on a lined baking pan. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 30 minutes, until wilted. Roma tomatoes work great because they are so meaty and with minimal seeds.
While the tomatoes are roasting get all the veggies and herbs prepped and chopped.
While tomatoes are roasting, sauté onions and garlic for about 15-20 minutes until soft and caramelized.
Take half of the onion mixture, blending with 3 cups of broth and the roasted tomatoes.
Blend until smooth. Sometimes the tomato peels don’t entire blend up. Once it is in with the veggies you may not even notice, but if you prefer an ultra smooth texture you can always run it through a fine mesh strainer at this point.
In the pot with the reserved onions, add sage, rosemary, salt, pepper, paprika, celery, carrots, beets, and cauliflower. Mix on low heat for a minute just to coat everything. Add 1 cup of broth, simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes.
Add red pepper, zucchini, chickpeas, and blended tomato broth. Simmer 15 minutes more. Test the vegetables for doneness. Simmer longer if needed.
More recipes you may enjoy
Smoky Tomato White Bean Soup
Tomato Artichoke Soup with Fennel and Tarragon
Minestrone Soup with Spring Veggies & Chickpeas
Brothy Chickpea Soup with Lemon, Fennel and Sumac
Tunisian Chickpea Stew with Carrots, Tops and Harissa
This is a fun soup to play with. Switch out the veggies or beans for what you have available. Add pasta, add parmesan or vegan cheesy sprinkle, or add chicken. Let us know what you create!
Harvest Vegetable Soup with Roasted Tomato Broth and Chickpeas is brimming with color and nutrients. Adaptable, Vegan and Gluten-Free!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound, fresh roma tomatoes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 to 6 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut in half moons
- 2 medium gold or chioga beets, cut in small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 red sweet pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 zucchini, chopped into half moons or cubes
- 4 cups broth, chicken or veggie
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2–1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups, 1 can chickpeas
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash tomatoes and slice them in half. Lay tomatoes skin down cut side up on a lined baking pan. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30 minutes, until wilted.
- While tomatoes are roasting, sauté onions and garlic for about 15-20 minutes until soft and carmelized, transfer half of the onion mixture into the blender.
- Blend this half of sautéed onion/garlic mixture with cooled roasted tomatoes and 3 cups of broth until smooth. The peels blend up quite tiny. If you prefer ultra smooth you can strain the tomato broth.
- In the pot with the reserved onions, add sage, rosemary, salt, pepper, paprika, celery, carrots, beets, and cauliflower. Mix on low heat for a minute just to coat everything.
- Add remaining cup of plain broth and simmer with lid on for 15 minutes. Add red pepper, zucchini, and chickpeas. Simmer 15 minutes more. Test the vegetables for doneness. Simmer longer if needed.
- Add tomato broth, heat thoroughly and serve.
Soup will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
Keywords: vegetable soup, harvest soup, harvest vegetable soup, vegetable chickpea soup, roasted tomato broth