Oleh : PakarQQ
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This gnocchi, mushroom and kale soup is made with a delicious creamy garlic-rosemary broth and topped with freshly-grated Parmesan. Easy to make in just 30 minutes!
I’m a big believer in always keeping a package of store-bought gnocchi tucked away in your pantry (or freezer) for last-minute dinnertime rescue. And this creamy gnocchi, mushroom and kale soup recipe is a perfect way to put it to good use. ♡
This cozy soup comes together easily in just under a half hour or so, thanks to some quick-cooking veggies and gnocchi. And I’m especially partial to that creamy garlic rosemary broth, which is wonderfully comforting and cozy without being too heavy. We’ve enjoyed keeping this recipe vegetarian here in our house, sometimes browning some plant-based Italian sausage to stir into the mix too. But if you’d like to add in an additional protein, some shredded chicken, bacon or traditional Italian sausage would be fantastic options here too.
The last time we made this soup, my husband went back for thirds…and then called dibs on leftovers the next day. So I sincerely hope you all love this recipe as much as we do!
Gnocchi, Mushroom and Kale Soup Ingredients
Before we get to the full recipe below, here are a few quick notes about the ingredients you will need to make this gnocchi, mushroom and kale soup…
- Gnocchi: You will need one package of store-bought gnocchi for this recipe, which is a breeze to use as it cooks up in just a few minutes. Nowadays there are many different options you can choose — potato gnocchi with or without gluten, cauliflower gnocchi, sweet potato gnocchi — so please use whatever you love best!
- Mushrooms: I tossed in a pound of baby bella mushrooms, since they are usually what we keep stocked in our fridge. But feel free to use white button mushrooms, a wild mushroom mix, or whatever variety you love best.
- Kale: Either traditional curly kale or lacinato (a.k.a. Tuscan or dinosaur) kale will work here.
- Mirepoix: I used a classic mix of carrots, celery and onion as the base for this soup, but feel free to toss in any additional soup-friendly veggies that you love.
- Veggie broth: Either vegetable broth or chicken broth/stock will work.
- Heavy cream: We will add in a small splash at the end to make the broth creamy but not too heavy.
- Seasonings: A simple blend of minced garlic, chopped fresh rosemary, crushed red pepper flakes, bay leaf, fine sea salt, black pepper will serve as the seasonings for this soup.
- Parmesan: And finally, I recommend topping each serving with a very generous sprinkle of freshly-grated Parmesan. Yum.
Here are a few additional ways that you’re welcome to customize this soup if you’d like…
- Make it gluten-free: Just be sure to look for a certified gluten-free brand of gnocchi to make this soup GF.
- Add a protein: Italian sausage, chicken or bacon would all be delicious additions to this soup if you would like to add a protein.
- Add extra veggies: Feel free to clean out your crisper drawer and toss in any other soup-friendly veggies that you have on hand.
- Add beans: If you would like to add some extra protein, feel free to add in a can of rinsed and drained beans (such as white beans, chickpeas, or kidney beans) to the soup too.
- Use homemade gnocchi: If you feel like going the extra mile, make a batch of my favorite homemade ricotta gnocchi to add to the soup. It’s super-soft and SO delicious.
- Use potatoes: Don’t have gnocchi on hand? Feel free to sub in a pound of diced potatoes instead and simmer until tender.
Favorite Vegetarian Soup Recipes
Looking for more cozy vegetarian soup recipes to try? Here are a few of my faves…
This gnocchi, mushroom and kale soup is made with a creamy garlic-rosemary broth and can be ready to go in just 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (16-ounce) package uncooked gnocchi
- 4 cups (about 4 ounces) finely-chopped fresh kale (tough stems discarded)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
- Sauté the veggies. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, rosemary, crushed red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 additional minutes, stirring once per minute.
- Simmer. Add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, and stir to combine. Continue cooking the soup until it reaches a simmer. Then cover, reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Cook the gnocchi and kale. Stir in the gnocchi and kale until combined. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the gnocchi are completely tender.
- Season. Stir in the heavy cream until combined. Discard the bay leaf. Then taste and season the soup with salt and black pepper as needed. (Feel free to also add more cream if you’d like.)
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with Parmesan cheese if you’d like.